Swidget 1.0

Monday, August 2, 2010

#2 - A Present from the Past

This one is very special to me and I felt I needed to put it in here right away. My Great-Grandma Schultz passed away this past June. She was 98 years young. She left quite a legacy;she had 6 children (one passed in infancy), 18 grandchildren, 34 great-grandchildren (my generation), and 26 great-great-grandchildren.

I was very lucky to receive something of hers, because there were 2 generations before me and they got first choice. The precious item that has become mine, is a quilt she had made herself and used daily while she was in the nursing home for many years.

One of the reasons it's special to me is because I had worked as a nursing assistant at her nursing home for a few years during high school. Whenever I got the chance I would pop into her room to say hi, and this was always on her bed.

I felt very honored when my aunt had offered it to me the day of her funeral. She said I was the first one to come to her mind when
my great aunts and uncles decided they didn't want it and gave it to her.

I was surprised to learn, from my aunt, that Grandma had hand stitched all of the birds. The only thing we weren't sure if she did or not, was the quilting stitches in the blue areas. Here's a close up of the intricate hand work she put into it.

This is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I hope that I will be able to create a legacy such as hers and maybe create something that can be passed down for generations like this quilt.

2 comments:

  1. that is such a sweet story : )
    it really is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg u made me think of my grandma straight away i know the feeling n the birdies are pretty :D

    ReplyDelete